April 2, 2017
Unit 1: Introduction to the MOOS
Unit 1 of the Moving Beyond Intractability Massive Open Online Seminar (MBI-MOOS) introduces the MOOS concept, discusses the nature of the problem(s) we will be addressing, and explains the many ways in which the MOOS can be used and accessed. The posts for the Frontiers Seminar and the Fundamentals Seminar in this unit are the same.
Core (Fundamentals and Frontier Seminar) Posts:
- Invitation and Quick Introduction
- The Intractable Conflict Challenge
- A Complexity-Oriented Approach
- MOOS Audiences
- MOOS Seminars
- Conflict Frontiers Seminar
- The Conflict Fundamentals Seminar
- Accessing MOOS Content
Additional materials which we think are particularly interesting and important relating to how various intractable conflicts are "playing out" in the "real world."
- The Right Way to Resist Trump -- Lessons from Italy and Berlusconi -- "The Right Way to Resist Trump" -- 03/01/2017
- Three reasons for universal basic income -- One real option for a wealthy economies that can't create jobs for everyone –- "universal basic income." -- 03/01/2017
- There Is No American 'Deep State' -- Based on the Turkish experience, an argument that "There Is No American 'Deep State.'" -- 02/28/2017
- Are Liberals Helping Trump? -- It's not enough to fight harder, one has to fight smarter--an explanation of how liberals are making things worse. -- 02/28/2017
- The Complacent Class -- The Complacent Class, an interesting new book arguing Americans are now working hard to AVOID change. -- 02/27/2017
- Europe Combats Fake News -- East Stratcom--Europe's welcome new effort to combat fake news (though its 11 person team is laughably small). -- 02/27/2017
- This Century Is Broken -- Jaw-dropping statistics emphasizing the critical importance of efforts to meet 21st century economic challenges. -- 02/26/2017
- Our Miserable 21st Century -- For those who want the big challenge and aren't afraid of depressing reading: "Our Miserable 21st-Century." -- 02/26/2017
- Google fights online trolls with new tool -- Trolling campaigns reveal "Astroturf" not "grassroots" hate. It's good to see Google fighting them. -- 02/25/2017
- If Trump is Impeached... -- A persuasive argument that impeachment may not be the panacea you were hoping for. Be careful what you wish for. -- 02/25/2017
BI Newsletters - General Announcements
Every two weeks or so, we will compile recent posts from our seminars and blogs into a newsletter that will be posted here and sent out by email to subscribers. You can sign up to receive your copy on our Newsletter Sign Up Page and find the latest newsletter as well as all past newsletters here on our Newsletter Archive page.
NOTE! If you signed up for this Newsletter and don't see it in your inbox, it might be going to one of your other emails folder (such as promotions, social, or spam). Check there or search for email@example.com, and if you still can't find it, please contact us.